OKI printer reseller okOKI have sold and supported the OKI range of printers, consumables and accessories for more than 20 years. They asked me to design and develop their new website, a first venture into e-commerce.
Data capture and analysis
The first task was to capture, analyse and organise the products and product attributes that would need to be loaded into the shop. Printers consist of many attributes: Price, Print speed, Colour/Mono, Paper size, Input tray capacity, RAM capacity, and Product Warranty are just some. Printers live within families, and some printers share compatible cartridges and accessories.
A printer could have up to fifteen compatible toners and accessories, each of which may or may not be compatible with other printers in that family, and with printers in other families.
Once the data was audited and signed-off I set-up the database and imported the 850 products into the store.
Printer and toner products are categorised by Colour, Mono, Multifunction, Dot Matrix, Fax Machine, and the Executive Series range of printers which had its own special data capture requirements. Customers can search for products by name or by product code.
Printers have different display requirements and contain many more attributes than consumables or accessories products. In addition, OKI terms and conditions prohibit displaying prices on Executive Series products. Accordingly, there are 4 different types of category page template.
The single product page was designed so a customer has all the information they need to make a purchase:
- Thumbnail image expanding to large size
- Product overview and full description
- PDF brochure
- Price including and excluding VAT (non-Executive Series products only)
- Delivery Information
- What’s in the Box information
- Links to compatible toner cartridges and accessories
- Product Enquiry contact form
- Related products – typically other printers in the family or next product down/up within the category
- Printer Leasing enquiry contact form (selected printers only)
- Promotions for Cashback amounts and/or Warranty extensions (on category and product pages, selected printers only)
The website has enabled okOKI to establish a strong online presence in a competitive market. The SEO has delivered page one results in Google organic search. Sales were made within days of launch, and the website paid for itself within a very short time.